Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Apparently Mama Bear's apples were too fermented...

Newsflash of the year: News travels fast.
Sometime yesterday afternoon a drunken bear was caught on tape as it stumbled around a small Colorado town, apparently after a binge on fermented apples. I heard about it first when I was doing the 10 p.m. cop calls. A dispatcher told me there was nothing going on in Carver or Canton or whereever, but he had just seen a drunk bear on TV. My roommate repeated the news as soon as I walked in my door an hour and a half later.
That's pretty cool. Some enterprising news crews must have been on their toes -- thank God for scanners.
But regarding the newer technology involved, I was a little disappointed. I had heard so much about the bear already last night, so I tried to find the video online. I assumed -- since we all talk about how advanced technology is and how quickly news travels -- that it would already be posted somewhere, whether on a news site or YouTube.
But to my great dismay it was nowhere to be found. I found it today through Google News, and watched it without the sound (these NU e-bars...). True, it's hilarious. And there's even a quick shot of a woman filming the bear with her Kodak EasyShare digital camera. So that makes up a little for the sloth with which the video was made available to me, in Boston without cable TV.
As I thought about it, I realized my disappointment came mostly from surprise. Sure, a drunk bear isn't exactly world-shattering, government-overthrowing news. But the fact that it wasn't in front of me immediately reminded me these things aren't instantaneous. There is a process; there are humans working behind the scenes.
A good thing to remember, in this world that's not as online as we think.

No comments: